Sunday, May 18, 2008

Hillary's Special treatment Should Offend Women

Think about it. Hillary Clinton has absolutely no chance of getting the Democratic nomination yet the press and Sen. Obama pretend she does. Everyone is talking about letting her leave on her own terms. Someone used the analogy "They're giving her time to get her coat before she leaves." Which is code for "when they would normally show her the door immediately." I find this preferential treatment incredibly sexist and wonder why more women aren't having a problem with the double standard. I hear people saying because she's a woman, the rules are different. Well they shouldn't be and she shouldn't be taking advantage of it. Every other candidate bid a timely and gracious good-bye when it was clear they couldn't win. Why should a woman be treated differently than all those failed male candidates? Hillary's insistence on hanging around looks and feels like a crazy ex-girlfriend who just can't take a hint. When it's over, it's over. Sticking around only makes everyone uncomforatable. Leave gracefully Hillary and you might get another shot.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Ummm...I can't see preferential treatment for HRC that you write of.

Her former rivals did bow out much, much earlier but not necessarily because they had "absolutely no chance". Some bowed out because they didn't want to spend the time and the money on something that was starting to look like a hard and thankless slog. Some quit because the national media was ignoring them and there simply wasn't enough money to buy attention.

One has "absolutely no chance" once the Convention is over and the people have officially spoken. This is the way conventions used to be.

So, NOT picking HRC up by the scruff of her pale blue jacket and tossing her into the nearest 747 headed for Chappaqua is somehow sexist? So arbitrarily deciding for her when she has to concede is doing her a favor?

Wow.

I recognize sexism when, un-asked, someone tries to usurp my rights and/or oppose me because, as a woman, I need some help/guidance/straightening out before I make a silly nuisance of myself. As a human being and as an adult I consider being a silly nuisance my privilege and (sometimes) my sacred duty.

HRC may be a nuisance, an inconvenience, even dangerous. I am assuming that she will bow out when the votes are counted and she is found wanting. Want to stop her now? Don’t vote for her. Already cast your vote? So did I; I don’t get another vote quite yet, either.

Harrowing HRC off the field may improve BHO’s candidacy, but I do not believe it will improve his competitiveness.

Herbert Sweet said...

I thought the 'graciousness' towards Hillary was part of the dance to court her vast number of supporters. If so that would answer why she was treated differently than the earlier losers.